top of page
  • LiveWorkTravelJapan

Free English Legal Consultation & Support in Japan

Navigating the legal system in any foreign country can be a daunting experience, particularly if you don't speak the local language. For foreigners in Japan who need legal support, the following list of consultation offices offers assistance in English. These organisations are available to provide Free English legal services in the following areas:

  • legal matters

  • immigration

  • divorce

  • accidents

  • inheritance

  • work & labor problems

  • business matters

Free Consultation for Matters for Foreign Residents in Japan:

Japan Legal Support Center (Hoterasu)

  • Offers multilingual information services

  • Covers a wide range of legal topics, including loans, divorce, labour, accidents, visas, natural disasters, and more

  • Provides free information on the Japanese legal system and relevant organisations

  • Phone: 0570-078377 (call charges apply)

  • Website

Yorisoi Hotline

  • Subsidised by the Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare

  • Provides support in multiple languages, including English, Chinese, Korean, Tagalog, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai, Vietnamese, Nepali, and Indonesian

  • Covers a variety of issues such as visas, nationality, family, work, discrimination, domestic violence, and more

  • Website:

  • Facebook Messenger chat

Municipal or Metropolitan Office Consultation Services

Tokyo Metropolitan Government Foreign Residents' Advisory Center

  • Deals with problems related to daily life, Japanese culture and customs, traffic accidents, family, and children

  • Website

Tokyo Metropolitan Education Consultation Center

  • Provides consultation services for children and students' education

  • Website

Tokyo Metropolitan Comprehensive Consumer Center

  • Helps with issues related to purchased objects

  • Services available for those living, working, or studying in Tokyo

  • Website

Tokyo Youth Comprehensive Consultation Center "WAKA-Navi"

  • Provides anonymous advice on any questions or issues

  • Website

Human Rights Bureau - Ministry of Justice

  • Offers human rights counselling services

  • PDF

  • Website

Tokyo Regional Immigration Services Bureau

  • Helps with matters related to living in Japan, residential status, and other problems

  • Website

Immigration Offices Information Center

Police Department for Foreign Residents

  • Has a special call center for foreign residents

  • Phone: 03-3503-8484

  • Website

Free Consultation for Labour or Work-Related Matters for Foreign Residents in Japan:

Tokyo Labour Bureau

  • Information on Advisory Services on Working Conditions from Tokyo Labour Bureau

  • Link to PDF

Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare

  • Telephone consultation service for foreign workers

  • Hotline for working condition consultation service

  • Check Roudou website

Tokyo Career Consulting Desk, Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare

  • Professional career consultants available for phone or email consultations on questions regarding work in Tokyo

  • Contact Information

Labor Consultation Service for Foreign Workers

  • Run by The Tokyo Metropolitan Government

  • Website

Tokyo Status Consultation Center

  • Attorneys available for labour-related law consultations and advice, free of charge

  • Website

Tokyo Status Service Center for Foreigners

  • For the following visa status individuals:

    • Engineer / Specialist in Humanities / International Services

    • Instructor

    • Skilled Labour

    • Full-time student (not part-time)

  • Website

National Tax Agency

  • Information and answers for questions about taxes

  • Website

One Stop Center - Foreign Residents Support Center (FRESC)

  • Located in Yotsuya, Tokyo

  • Provides professional advice from various organisations including:

    • Immigration services agency of Japan

    • JETRO

    • MOFA Visa Information

    • Japan Legal Support Center (Houterasu)

    • Tokyo Status service center for foreigners

    • Tokyo labour bureau consultation and support office for foreigners

  • FRESC website

  • Address: Yotsuya Tour 13F, 1-6-1 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo

  • Access: 1 min. walk from Yotsuya Station

  • Tel.: 0580-011000 / 03-5363-3013

Consultation Services for Foreign Residents around Japan:

Legal Counseling Center for Foreigners

  • Provides counseling on legal matters related to foreign residents

  • Tel: 0570-055-289

  • Website

English Lawyers Japan

Hiroo Park Law Firm (Tokyo)

  • Specializes in family law, immigration, labor law, criminal defense, real estate, and international cases

  • Tel: 03-5422-6713

  • Website

Free Legal Consultation Service (Chiba)

Nabekura Law Office (Chiba)

Free Legal Consultations for Foreign Nationals in Saitama

Ishikawa Foundation for International Exchange

Osaka Foundation of International Exchange, Planning and Promotion Group

Fukuoka International Exchange Foundation

Sapporo Help Desk for Foreign Residents

Lawyer's Support Network Hokkaido

Other useful English services:



bottom of page